Working with plywood, as with many other things in life, means dealing with some special vocabulary. If you’re new to woodworking or even new to working with plywood, you may not know these terms. Without them, you won’t necessarily know what you’re dealing with.
– ???? – plywood side with the lower face grade, normally used as the back, when installed
– ???? – inner layers of the plywood, with grain perpendicular to the face
– ???????? – manufacturing defect where a piece of face veneer runs perpendicular to the board’s length
– ???????????? – orientation of successive veneer layers, placing them perpendicular to the adjacent layers of the plywood
– ??? – refers to how the veneer is made; either rotary cut or sliced
– ???????????? – failure of plywood panels, where the adhesive used to attach the plys fails, usually due to water
– ???? – the side of the plywood with the higher grade finish
– ????? – system by which the quality of plywood’s surfaces are identified
– ????? – growth pattern of wood fibers
– ??? ????? – sap or resin leftover on wood veneer from milling
– ???????? – any wood that comes from a deciduous tree (one whose leaves fall off) – has nothing to do with the wood’s density
– ???????? – the center of the log, below the sapwood; also the strongest part of the log
– ???? – place on a log where a branch grew out
– ???? ???? – the knot has separated from the wood around it, leaving a hole
– ??? ???? – small knots, less than ¼” in diameter
– ????? ???? – a knot that has not separated from the wood surrounding it
– ???????? – a hole or void in lumber, where a knot has come out
– ??? – place where two pieces of veneer are laid next to each other in the same ply
– ?????? ??????? – high quality plywood made with waterproof glue and without any voids
– ??? (?????? ??????? ??????????) – engineered plywood product made of highly compressed, pressure cooked wood fibers, combined with synthetic resin
– ??????? ?????? – discoloration of hardwood
– ????????? – browning, graying or yellowing caused by exposure to the elements
– ????????????? – engineered wood product manufactured from small wood particles (sawdust) with a bonding resin – is not the same as MDF, which is a higher grade product
– ??????? – material placed on defects in face veneers to repair voids, etc.
– ??? – single layer of wood veneer in a plywood product
– ??????? – originally referred to an engineered wood product, made by laminating several plys of wood veneer perpendicular to each other. The definition has now been expanded to include all engineered wood sheet products
– ?????? ??? – process by which veneer is peeled off a log as one continuous sheet on a lathe
– ??????? – outer layers of living wood, just below the bark; normally not used in plywood
– ?????? – cracks in the wood veneer, running parallel to the wood grain
– ?????? – sliced or peeled layer of thin wood, used to make plywood.